SMMCo | Library
Being one of the most important facilities in any learning institution, a library is the centre for knowledge creation, acquisition, selection, development and dissemination. Our libraries at Masoka, Mwika and Moshi Town Campuses provides the following services:-
- Serves as a documentation centre.
- Reference books, photocopy services and book loans on various subjects.
- Establishes and maintain both card catalogues as well as library materials.
- Offers ICT services to students, academic staff as well as neighbouring communities.
Establishes and promotes cooperation with similar centre at national as well as international level.
- Provide all possible information needs for researches, students, academic staff as well as neighbouring communities
SMMUCo library intends to give better services to its user.
In order to provide an atmosphere for conducive use of its services and facilities users are required to comply with the library rules and regulations listed below.
The library provides membership to Lecturers and Administrative staff and students.
2. Borrowing tickets issued:
Lecturers issued with 7 tickets and administrative staffs are issued 3 tickets while students shall use their identity cards.
3. Lending rules.
- Library materials borrowed must be returned on or before the due date.
- Library materials borrowed for overnight or weekend use must be returned at 9:00 am when the library open.
- Any Lecturer or students holding overdue library materials will not be allowed to borrow books.
- The Librarian has the right to recall any books before the date on which it is due. He/She may require that all books be returned when stock taking is to take place.
- Borrower is required to produce library tickets or ID card when borrowing Library materials.
- Normal loan period for Lecturers is one month and 2 hours for special reserve materials during the normal working hours. Issue may be renewed for a further period if the document is not reserved for other reader. But for the students loan period is only 3 days in a week.
- No book or any other library material may be taken out of the library unless it has been officially issued to the borrower at the issue desk.
- All borrowers must at the end of each semester settle any over due loans before they are permitted to borrow library materials again.
FINES AND PENALTIES:
The following fine and penalties shall be imposed on those who will break these rules and regulations.
Library material must be returned on the due date or earlier. Failure to do so will be treated as a serious offence. The borrower will be required to pay fine for overdue.
- Fine for overdue.
- Fine imposed on borrowers for late return of library materials: A fine of Tsh.500/= shall be paid every additional day after the last day of returning a borrowed material to the library. Failure to return the additional fined 7 days will be considered book theft. Failure to pay the fine will cause denial to use the library.
- Special reserve material: A fine of Tsh. 500/= shall be paid after every additional hour. Failure to pay the fine will result to denial to use the library.
- Loss and damage: A borrower will be held responsible for materials and if the materials are lost, an immediate report should be made to the librarian.
A borrower is required to pay twice for the damaged or lost material. He/She is required either to replace the lost or damaged material by purchasing it himself/herself or requesting the librarian to buy another book or material by using the refunded cost for the lost book or material.
- Theft:The penalty for any act of book theft shall be suspension from using library services for the whole semester. Repetition of the same mistake shall be denial to access the library, accompanied by a warning letter copied to the Dean/Provost or Head of Department.